This report was updated on Wednesday 29th March 2017 for deliveries 3rd - 6th April 2017
Monday - Wednesday Delivery: Order by 4pm Friday for priority supply.
Monday - Wednesday Delivery: Order by 4pm Sunday.
Thursday Delivery: Order by 9.30am Monday.
Some things are worth the wait !
If you find you have missed the Cut-off's simply call our office - of course we will do our best to fill an order for you if we can : )
PRODUCE SPECIAL : Beans - 500gm Bag - Coming from Tim Hamilton in VIC - $6.00 per 500gm bag
GROCERY SPECIAL : O for Organic - Bone Broth - Beef (500ml) $11.65 each...usually $15.50 each
O for Organic broth is made from Australian certified organic grass fed and pasture raised beef. The broth is slowly simmered over a period of 18 hours to extract maximum nutrients and minerals from the bones. The broth contains beef marrow bones, making it high in gelatin and rich in flavour.
- Mother Nature is again letting us know she is in charge....We are experiencing some pretty wild weather across the country... as we have been pretty much all Summer. At this stage of course we are not exactly sure how Cyclone Debbie will impact our produce....these intense and destructive storms can have immediate effects as well as effects into the future....The reason Charlie does not have any of his Asian Greens at the moment is because around 6 weeks ago his baby veg was literally washed away in heavy rains....Our local growers are all bracing for what looks as though will be a very wet Thursday!!! Fingers crossed....Prepare for extra washing of your herbs and lettuce this week.
- Change of season is again well and truly here. We have pulled the pin a little early on Nectarines this year as Green Gables sadly last their crop and the fruit we have been offering from VIC have had a few random problems with browning around the core....I can't say it has been a great Nectarine season...but it has definitely not been our worst : )
- ...thinking of pulling the pin - the melons have also made a quick exit this week. We have had so many problems - especially with Seedless Watermelon this season...this week took the cake with more rejects than pieces of melon we could actually use. It's hard to believe....but Winter Melons are not far off.....
- ...We have received a few reports of brown rot on our peaches this week....not enough to pull the pin but enough to put it out there. If you have received Peaches from us this week, please investigate...one bad peach in an enclosed container can send the whole lot bad at lightning speed. If you do have any problems move the affected fruit and then wash and dry any other fruit that was in the container. Any major problems please lettuce know. We stand firmly behind our quality guarantee and would hate to think that anything has ended up straight in the compost. These things do happen, thankfully not often.
- Grapes were delicious this week - the pick is now Crimson and Sultana from Robinvale. Fruit is on the smaller side - but what the grapes lack in size, they make up for in taste - YUM !!! Please keep in mind we are approaching the finish line. 4 weeks will see grapes out for the season....as we move closer to the end you may notice a few more grapes on the bunch that have begun to deteriorate. Check your bunch on arrival and remove any damaged grapes before storing in the fridge. Could I suggest pulling the grapes off the bunch on arrival and then storing in a airtight container in the fridge...this way the kids (big and small) can just pour them into a bowl without actually having to check out which are good or not so good... You may also find the grapes are not as crunchy as you expect and the stems may now begin to show signs of browning..Thompson Seedless are also available this week - they are a very big heavy green seedless grape.....they are so heavy in fact that it is likely that many of your grapes will be loose in the bag or box....it can't be helped - as soon as they are handled it is like a river of green grapes....Know what to expect.
- Thinking of end of season, Valencia Oranges are coming to mind. They are starting to become spongy to the touch with some random dry fruit now presenting themselves. As many of you know, these Oranges have been off the trees for some time and their age is now showing. Know what to expect. The good news is that Bonita and Les Darrow will begin to pick their early Navelina within the month...Imperial Mandarin supply will closely follow the Oranges. Remember to refrigerate.
- Pim's Custard Apples are ready - they are always delicious ! Try something new this week....they are a great source of Vitamin C, are low on the Glycemic Index (54), are a source of dietary fibre as well as potassium and magnesium. For anyone who hasn't tried Pim's Honey, do yourself a favour.
- Plums - all varieties from Green Gables, Mangosteens, Cavendish Bananas, Blueberries, Passionfruit, Pears - Bosc and Yalli in particular and Lemons have been great. Fuerte Avocadoes back on the list this week.
- Dutch Carrots back on the list this week from Tim Burrell - Yeehah !
- Some of the Ginger we are supplying you is new season which means it does not have the thick golden brown skin you may associate with Ginger and should be handled carefully at your end. Store in a cool, dry location...kept in the fridge the Ginger will begin to grow mould.
- Victorian Cauliflower's have been clean, white and densely developed.....but....the heads are really small for the price. Know what to expect everyone.
- It is approaching that time again when the Allium Family are thinking about growing again....Don't let these signs of 'coming to life' put you off.... simply cut up shoot and all ! Russian Garlic bulbs are now also beginning to split which may result in us sending you Cloves rather than whole bulbs.
- Capsicum - all varieties, Broccoli (although heads are on the larger side), Fennel & Corn (on grower special), Carrots, Cabbage - all varieties, Lebanese Cucumber, Pumpkin - all varieties, Turmeric and Grape Cherry Tomatoes have been great.
- Please keep in mind that we like to pick up the boxes & icepacks we supply in your orders as well as welcome the return of all other packaging material that may find it's way into your order, egg cartons, bubble wrap, plastic boxes, etc. Please leave all these goodies in your returning boxes out for our drivers to collect on your next delivery.
- We have updated our website with the most up to date and accurate information available to us at this time, but due to weather conditions there is of course some uncertainty with our expected supply. The good news is that we have quite a few supply options available to us and so may list a Grower on our site that does not end up supplying us goodies this week. Rest assured we only deal in Certified Organic fresh Fruit & Vegetables and so if the origin of the goodies we supply to you changes the organic status will not.
- Did you know we have Recipe Packages, also simply known as Meal Inspiration for those of us preparing dinner for the fam each evening...Head to our Meal Inspiration Page to find this week's selection of Recipe inspirations. We know you all have things in your pantry like Olive Oil so with our packages you can simply add the package to your cart and then delete any goodies you don't require. So simple !
PLEASE RETURN OUR POLY BOXES and ICEBLOCKS
We pick up all boxes that we deliver in and ask that you keep them clean and dry for a week so that we can swap them with the empty boxes when making your next delivery....If our drivers are not picking up your empty boxes please lettuce know. The Gel pack Iceblocks that we are supplying you are also a considerable cost to our business if they are not returned as are the poly boxes. Please leave out for collection with your next order. We will also collect any packaging material we may supply you including egg cartons, plastic boxes, bubble wrap etc. - simply leave inside your returning boxes.
CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS
As you know, we charge your credit card for your delivery total on the day of or day after your delivery. Please ensure that we have your up to date credit card details and that there are sufficient funds available on the day of your delivery for us to process your payment.
As with each Easter over the last few years we have decided due to a number of factors including the disruption with transport due to Good Friday & Easter Monday (not to mention our beautiful children are on School Holidays) that we will not offer deliveries the week following the long weekend. So no deliveries week starting the 17th of April. All will be back to normal for deliveries 24th of April - 27th April....well sort of - Due to Anzac Day falling on Tuesday the 25th this year....Monday deliveries will be made as normal, then all other deliveries will be made one day later than usual !
Hot Cross Buns available include: Bills, Healthybake, Naturis, La Tartine & Bowan Island Bakery.
Easter Eggs now available from Organic Times - limited numbers available - first in first served.