This report was updated on Wednesday 22nd February 2017 for deliveries 27th Feb - 2nd March 2017
Monday - Wednesday Delivery: Order by 4pm Friday for priority supply.
Monday - Wednesday Delivery: Order by 4pm Sunday.
Thursday Delivery: Order by 9.30am Monday.
Some things are worth the wait !
If you find you have missed the Cut-off's simply call our office - of course we will do our best to fill an order for you if we can : )
PRODUCE SPECIAL : White Nectarines - 1kg or more - $9.00 per kilo. Coming from Mancinelli in VIC.
GROCERY SPECIAL : Kitz Living Food Crackers - All varieties $7.30 each ...usually $9.75 each inc gst
If you've ever made these at home, you know how labour intensive they are to make! But worth it!! Savoury gluten-free snacks, bread replacement, vehicle for any meal. All KITZ crackers are ‘activated’ by an overnight soak in cool filtered water, and then low-temperature dehydrated (below 47º C). They are absolutely packed with flavour and nutrition. Try them with dips and spreads, or top with your favourite sandwich toppings for a fabulous mealtime treat. Gluten-free, dairy-free, low carb and vegan!
- Graeme has confirmed today that we will have his amazing Royal Gala Apples in our warehouse on Monday the 6th of March...the season is running a little late this year as it is with most other produce...Until then, we have Gala and Granny Smith available from Mal McMahon. Flavour is good. For a real bargain grab some Juicing Apples, at the beginning of the season these are always such great value as they are simply very small and/or odd shaped and/or with a small insect bite.
- ..Pears from McMahon have also been great. Bosc and Packham both available. Shapes are a little rough : ) for me this simply makes for an amazing fruit display in the kitchen. Know what to expect.
- Grapes - all varieties were amazing this week - Ralli Seedless deserving a special mention from Jesmond - delicious. For any Green Grocers out there you may have noticed that your Thompson Seedless were actually Dawn Seedless. A late call from Borderland relayed a quick end to the season. Dawn available again this week.
- Finally, David Fairey's Peach season has firmly started. Yum! Unfortunately for us there is very little Peach on the market which is driving prices high. Don't wait...it is likely the price will not come below $16.00 for the kilo....They are worth it ! David's Plums have also been fantastic. Remember to keep an eye on your fruit as warm weather can turn plums soft at lightning speed. Sugar Plums were a big hit this week....so sweet.
- Valencia Oranges are now approaching end of the season...fruit is starting to feel a little soft, but flavour is still fantastic. Remember to refrigerate at your end.
- Cavendish Bananas, Passionfruit (although a little wrinkly), Fingerlimes, Dragonfruit, and Nectarines - both White and Yellow were excellent this week. White Nectarines only $9.00 per kilo this week - our Produce Special. Thinking of excellent Blueberries coming from Skye Blue deserve a special mention - BEA..utiful...Big and Plump. As good as Blueberries get!
- Our local greens are struggling in this weather. Jo's soft lettuce this week could not have a better description than 'soft'. I apologise to anyone who picked their lettuce up to find it fell down around their hand. A droopy lettuce can be revived - simply re cut the stem and submerge in water. You will be amazed at the results. Jo has asked us to take all his lettuce off the list - except Mini Cos...which is really 'mini'. We will also have Cos and Iceberg available - coming from Peninsula Fresh this week......Unfortunately Charlie now has a 1 - 2 week gap on Fennel. Silverbeet is back on the list - but it is very young.
- I'm sure you will all agree, the Corn has been fantastic. Remember, Corn should be an 'eat first' item as they are sweetest when they are first picked. For any extended delay in eating it is best to cut off the kernels and freeze for later use. Corn is also very susceptible to Ear Worm - conventionally, crops are heavily sprayed to get rid of this little critter and even then, many cobs have their tip cut off due to damage. We find with our organic corn, that more often than not there is a worm or evidence of it being present at some stage on most cobs. Don't let it's remains turn you off, simply cut the tip off !
- David Ross has assured us the weather forecast is looking good and so we should have Zucchini Flower in our warehouse on Monday the 27th. Fingers crossed....
- ...on the other hand Snowpeas and Sugar Snap Peas are now coming off the list as the quality has just not been great.
- What has been great is Beans from Hamilton. Order with confidence.
- Some of the Ginger we are supplying you is New season which means it does not have the thick golden brown skin you may associate with Ginger and should be handled carefully at your end. Store in a cool, dry location...kept in the fridge the Ginger will begin to grow mould.
- Keep in mind Summer Cauliflower are always a little rough around the edges, an off white to yellowy colour, a little rubbery and generally not as densely developed as the Winter Cauli's we love, this loose formation coupled with extreme weather conditions can result in there being random problems with grubs etc....the good news is they have a good flavour if you can get past the uninviting appearance.
- Carrots, Kumera & Red Sweet Potato (have you tried Sweet Potato toast yet ? Check out our latest blog and do so this week), Cherry Tomatoes - Grape in particular, Red Capsicum, Spinach PP, Cucumber - all varieties, Jap & Butternut Pumpkin, Basil, Bok Choy, Zucchini & Squash have been excellent.
- As with the end of most Aussie Summers....we are experiencing a whole range of weather conditions - hot and wet being one of the worst for Growers around the country. These conditions can always present random problems across a whole range of produce...Please keep in mind that we guarantee the quality of all of the produce we supply you. We hate to think that anything we have supplied you has ended up straight in the compost...but we are dealing in fresh fruit and veg and these things can happen...thankfully not often ! We have updated our website with the most up to date and accurate information available to us at this time, but due to the unpredictable weather there is of course some uncertainty with our expected supply. The good news is that we have quite a few supply options available to us and so may list a Grower on our site that does not end up supplying us goodies this week. Rest assured we only deal in Certified Organic fresh Fruit & Vegetables and so if the origin of the goodies we supply to you changes the organic status will not.
- Did you know we have Dinner Boxes or Recipe Packages also simply known as Dinner Inspiration for those of us preparing dinner for the fam each evening...Head to our Package Deal Page to find this week's selection of Recipe inspirations. We know you all have things in your pantry like Olive Oil so with our packages you can simply add the package to your cart and then delete any goodies you don't require. So simple !
- Please excuse us if the indications we have on size of produce on our website is off the mark, or we supply you from a Grower that is different to the one we have listed on our site..... We are updating our site without actually having the produce we are selling in front of us and things can change without notice, like the weather for instance. We have updated our website today with the most up-to-date and accurate information about what will be available for next week's deliveries...but it is Wednesday and there are quite a few days before we will actually see the produce we are selling to you. Rest assured we only deal in CERTIFIED ORGANIC fresh produce....that is, produce that has been independently audited to ensure that it is grown in line with the National Standard for Organic Production. Lettuce Deliver is also independently audited to ensure we are selling Certified Organic Produce. We are Certified with NASAA...and can proudly produce an audit trail on all our produce at a moment's notice.
PLEASE RETURN OUR POLY BOXES and ICEBLOCKS
We pick up all boxes that we deliver in and ask that you keep them clean and dry for a week so that we can swap them with the empty boxes when making your next delivery....If our drivers are not picking up your empty boxes please lettuce know. The Gel pack Iceblocks that we are supplying you are also a considerable cost to our business if they are not returned as are the poly boxes. Please leave out for collection with your next order. We will also collect any packaging material we may supply you including egg cartons, plastic boxes, bubble wrap etc. - simply leave inside your returning boxes.
CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS
As you know, we charge your credit card for your delivery total on the day of or day after your delivery. Please ensure that we have your up to date credit card details and that there are sufficient funds available on the day of your delivery for us to process your payment.